Starting an open relationship with your partner can be an exciting and rewarding experience. Some studies say, it can make you happier. However, it’s important to approach it with care and consideration. Here are some steps to take to start an open relationship with your partner:
- Start with communication: Before making any decisions, it’s important to talk with your partner about the possibility of opening up your relationship. Discuss your desires and concerns, and listen carefully to their responses. Be honest and transparent about your motivations and boundaries, and be prepared to have an open and ongoing dialogue about your relationship.
- Establish clear boundaries: Once you’ve both agreed to explore an open relationship, it’s important to establish clear boundaries and rules. Discuss what types of relationships or activities are allowed, and what is off-limits. This may include discussing how often and with whom you’ll see other people, whether or not you’ll have sex with others, and what types of communication are allowed with other partners.
- Check in regularly: As you navigate your open relationship, it’s important to check in with your partner regularly to ensure that you’re both still comfortable with the arrangement. Make time to talk about your feelings and experiences, and be prepared to adjust your boundaries if needed.
- Practice safe sex: If you or your partner plan on having sex with others, it’s important to practice safe sex to protect yourself and your partner from sexually transmitted infections. Discuss your expectations around safer sex practices, and be sure to use protection consistently.
- Seek support if needed: Opening up your relationship can be challenging, and it’s okay to seek support if you need it. Consider talking with a therapist who specializes in open relationships, or seek out a community of people who share your lifestyle. Specifically, sex positive therapists are the ones who have the most valuable information.
Starting an open relationship with your partner requires openness, honesty, and a willingness to communicate and make adjustments along the way. By taking these steps, you can create a strong foundation for a fulfilling and satisfying open relationship.