Just two days after black race car driver Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr. called for NASCAR to ban the confederate flag from its events, NASCAR has done just that.
Today (6/10), they announced the flag will no longer be allowed at races or displayed at any NASCAR properties.
NASCAR announced on Instagram in part, “The presence of the confederate flag at NASCAR events runs contrary to our commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for all fans, our competitors, and our industry.”
They added, “Bringing people together around the love of racing and our community is what makes our fans and sport special.”
“Bubba” Wallace Jr. told CNN on Monday (6/8) that the flags have no place at the races. He said, “No one should feel uncomfortable when they come to a NASCAR race. It starts with confederate flags.”
Fans reaction to the post has been mixed with one fans commenting, “NASCAR, what I’ve seen from you guys the last week is truly amazing. Thank you for making the sport for EVERYONE! I couldn’t be more proud.”